3.13.2008

Looking Past the Looking Glass

...

I was talking to a friend today. We're not that close and when I first met her I honestly didn't like her. She was loud and attention grabbing and I'm an introvert so naturally I had a stick up my butt right away. I talked to her tonight and she told me a little about her life. Her family has some serious issues but she's still seeking God. She's a good girl and I have seen God working through her in an amazing way. It takes me a while to warm up to people and I regret it took me so long to warm up to her.

I started thinking about all the people I have met and got bad first impressions and after that their name had a bad connotation with me. I thought about all the people that view me as a stuck up ice queen. And my mind screams out against the stereotype because that's not who I am at all. It just might be people's first impression of me because I'm shy. How superficial to judge people by a first meeting. Or 'I have a bad vibe from this dude'. You know how many times I've said that? One too many. Our opinions, ideas, and feelings can change with the wind. This minute I like it the next I hate it. How can we judge a relationship with a person so quickly?

If God were to sit down with us in the cafe never meeting us before and He got a 'bad vibe' from us, would he leave the table after we ate and hope he never had to hang out with us again? I really hope not. I'm glad God gives me chances. Hundreds, thousands, millions of chances to redeem my former behavior. I'm glad he looks at my heart and not at the one conversation we had three months ago. Because if He did the human race would be in bad shape.

Yes I know some people just don't get along with others. But I truly believe we can find some redeeming quality in everybody. You know why? Because I am everybody, You are everybody. If we just take the time to try and see people as God sees people I think this world would be such a better place.

1 comment:

lynette said...

i love you a lot delyann, thanks for being my best friend.


love always,
lynette